Documenting my projects up to 2012

Help! A Tiger, 2011 Part 1


Tomorrow is the 3rd February 2011 and so there are only a few hours left in the Year of the Tiger and I'm finally posting an 'un-posted' project which was drawn from The Beatles' 1965 film Help! on some of my origami envelopes. When the tiger makes an appearance (with Ringo Starr) a subtitle appears saying simply 'A Tiger'. I like finding animals in unexpected films from my collection and this sighting and subsequent study is a further homage to Eadweard Muybridge's Animals in Locomotion series and a continuation of my Moving drawings. I drew the sequence of 12 stills after reading about the horrific murder of Sumatran Tiger Sheila at Jambi Zoo in Indonesia in August 2009. Sheila was part of a conservation program run by the Zoological Society of London. She was drugged and skinned in her cage at the zoo by poachers who, it seems, were motivated by the trade in animal parts for use in Chinese medicine. Please play the looped movie below.